IBM Smarter Cities Challenge
Launched in 2010, the Smarter Cities Challenge is a 3-year IBM Corporate Citizenship initiative to enable up to 100 cities around the world to become smarter by enhancing their capacity to collect, analyze and act upon information across multiple core systems; to apply data-driven system of systems analysis to the key problems facing cities... read more
Challenge.gov is an online challenge platform administered by the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) in partnership with ChallengePost that empowers the U.S. Government and the public to bring the best ideas and top talent to bear on our nation’s most pressing challenges. This platform is the latest milestone in the Administration’s committment to use prizes and challenges to promote innovation... read more
Open Commons is dedicated to providing a platform for public policy, entrepreneurism, and technology that dramatically improves the communities in which we live -- whether inner city, urban, rural, or undeveloped within the U.S. and throughout the world. We assume that community development will be driven by the desire of people for safety, neighbors and quality of life rather than by technology. We believe there are many opportunities to enable "market driven" development of community via open source technology, collaboration, and entrepreneurial for-profit and non-profit organizations. Just as supply chain optimization has transformed global businesses from building inventory in search of distribution ("push") into on-demand production ("pull"), we want to help individuals pull the value they want into their communities. We want to improve the world we live in.
- Join the Centre for Sustainability and Excellence (CSE) to discuss the next step in Corporate Sustainability with a focus on Green Marketing, Materiality, and the new FTC Guidelines.
- 2010: The Year of Open Government. Moving beyond plans to practice. Hear how government leaders, innovators and smart operations are using Open Source.
- Produced by the Portland Sustainability Institute, the EcoDistricts Summit is the premier annual conference dedicated to neighborhood-scale sustainability innovation.
- Reps from IBM & PeoplePower to Chair OMG's Smart Energy Working Group Call to Participate: Next Meeting on June 22, 2011, Salt Lake City, UT
- COMMUNITY POLICING BY THE COMMUNITY: A Model for Community Policing By the Community Powered by the Community Broadband.
- MAKING ECODISTRICTS: Concepts and Methods for Advancing Sustainability in Neighborhoods.
- Professor of English and the History of Ideas Barry Sanders has been awarded a Fulbright Senior Scholar grant for research in Greece.
- Better Choices for the Commons? IBM's Global Innovation Outlook and "smarter" approach
- Helping Cities Work Better. OpenPlans informs and engages communities through journalism and open source software.
- Civic Commons: Sharing Technology for the Public Good.
IBM Smart Cities
Making cities more instrumented, interconnected and intelligent isn't only about overcoming the challenges cities face. It is about recognizing that many of the challenges we face in making a smarter planet are centered on creating sustainable cities. Cities symbolize and centralize so many aspects of what will make for a smarter planet: smarter education, smarter healthcare, smarter water and energy use, smarter public safety, smarter transportation, and smarter government ... to name but a few.
People Power Co.
People Power Company is building the next generation of energy efficiency monitoring and control solutions for homes, buildings, appliances and devices. People Power is disrupting the market with its new Open Source IPv6 Automation Network (OSIAN), while also supporting “WiFi” and “ZigBee” network protocols. Leading with its open source “SmartGrid for All” philosophy, People Power is inspiring innovation and enabling Smart Grid interoperability by empowering developers everywhere to address exciting new market opportunities for Smart Grid applications and beyond.
INTEL Open Energy
As the number one purchaser of renewable energy in the US and a strategic investor in renewable energy start-up companies, Intel is helping lead the development of the clean energy industry. An imperative that is closely linked to clean energy is to help make smart energy a global reality.
To that end, the Intel Open Energy Initiative aligns and mobilizes Intel and its partners around the application of technology and open standards to accelerate the global transition to smart energy. Specifically Intel is working to accelerate the integration of and synergy between intelligent renewable energy sources, smart grids, smart buildings, and empowered energy consumers.